Twiggy dress - Kit by Klo
Hello everyone! I hope that you are well, and that you have a lot of projects planned for this last cold month of winter! I am writing to you today to tell you about a project that I wanted to blog last week, but as I was so invested into my Lighthouse KAL, I didn’t have time to write it!
At the start of January I left my needles for a weekend to sew a dress! I have a huge list of sewing projects at the moment, but as often in winter, I spend less time with my sewing machine. I needed a project that would motivate me, and that I wanted to do for a long time. So I decided to make the Twiggy dress from Kit by Klo. A few weeks ago, Kloé offered me to sew some of her patterns to give her my opinion about them. I choose the Twiggy dress as I absolutely loved the ruffle detail on the sleeves.
What you need to know about my history with sewing is that sewing has taught me which shapes fit me and which shapes I should avoid. Fitted dresses with gathered or circle skirts definitely suit me the best, and that’s what I usually sew. However I also regularly look at dresses sometimes wider and ask myself : why not this one? So that’s what happened with this pattern. Twiggy has an A-line shape, with 7/8 sleeves embellished with ruffles and closed by a knot at the wrists. It has a slightly gathered skirt, which gives volume to the dress.
To make this dress I chose a cotton fabric from Pretty Mercerie. I ordered two meters and I wasn’t sure of the project I was going to choose. And then I figured that using it for this dress would allow me to wear it in winter as this fabric is quite thick.
The instructions of this pattern are in a small booklet, and they are easy to understand. But I admit to have a little bit of trouble with the size chart: I am a size 36, but according to this chart, I am ‘M’. Compared to other sewing patterns brands of patterns or to commercial clothing, the size S from Kit By Klo is usually XS, so be careful when you choose your size.
In addition, as written by a few bloggers before me, the instructions do not allow you to make nice finishes: I’ve sewn the front and back by the shoulders, then in the same way I’ve sewn the inside facing by the shoulders and finally assembled the facing to the dress for a much clearer neckline. Same thing for the back button placket : I’ve made it once the top and bottom of the dress were already sewn together. Regarding the ruffle sleeves, in my opinion, it would be necessary to add an inside facing to avoid seeing the inner fabric. So, as you can see, I chose a printed fabric, but that would allow better finishes no matter which fabric is used.
Otherwise, I followed the instructions, but I slightly reduced the width of the back skirts as my fabric was a bit thick. I used beautiful buttons that I had in my stash and that I love.
As we went for a walk in Castle Combe in the Cotswolds the other day, we took the opportunity to snap a few pictures of this dress! My opinion on this dress is that the pattern is nice (despite my previous remarks on the finishes), but it’s not the shape that suits me best to be honest.
Good weekend to all.