Robe Xerea – Pauline Alice
Hello everyone! I’m happy to write a new post with a sewing project to show you! This time, it is about Pauline Alice’s newest pattern : the dress Xerea, that I had the chance to test last month. Please note that this is Version A of the pattern, and this is my test version. I didn’t have time to make a new one, and for this one, I wasn’t completely happy with the choice of my fabric. Keep this in mind!
When we received her latest pattern, the Xerea dress was presented by Pauline as a very 60’s style pattern, with short sleeves, pockets on the sides and front and back yokes. I loved the design straight away and I could definitely imagine myself in it. When I had to chose the fabric, I didn’t have anything old to test it, so took the risk to go straight with a new fabric. I looked at Pauline’s recommendations on the instructions, and went for a chambray. I had seen this coloured chambray last year in the online shop Little Fabrics and really wanted to give it a go. I chose to use a plain red chambray with a striped chambray, like on the technical design.
Regarding the pattern, the instructions were very clear as always. I went for a size 36, but I could have done a size 34 in my opinion. I’m always between these two sizes on Pauline Alice charts measurements. I sewed the dress quite quickly, but I had trouble to understand the step 5, when you have to sew the side of the dress with the pockets. I wasn’t the only one apparently, and Pauline took our opinions in consideration, and added informations to this part.
I really like the V neck, that you can’t see on the pictures! Apparently I forgot about it when I did my hair this day and decided to leave them on my back, and my photograph didn’t see that detail, oups! As you’ve seen in my last projects, the V back is really something I’m into this year!
This pattern is made for a beginner lever, as it is quite a simple make. You need to sew pockets, sleeves, and a bias all around the neckline, sleeves and bottom hem. But honestly, if you follow the instructions, it’s easy!
When the dress was all made and that it was time to try it on, I was sure of one thing : I had to reduce the bottom hem! The pattern is made for a size 1m65, and I’m smaller than that let’s be honest. You should think about the length you want this dress to be before you cut the fabric as you could save some this way. It’s when I tried it on that I had a real doubt on the fabric….I really love chambray and especially this colour, but with the fit of the dress I’m not sure it’s the best mix. I compared my version to Pauline’s versions and it looks way nicer in a flexible fabric. On top of that, the dress was supposed, at the beginning, to have darts but they have been taken off by Pauline for the final version. However, for my morphology, I think the darts would have been better on me. I mentioned to Pauline that I really like the dress but I wasn’t sure of the fit on me.
Then, Pauline added a second version of the dress! A version even more 60’s! With a V back and sleeveless. I didn’t have time to sew this one but I think it should fit me better.
I wanted to show you this version anyway as I just started to wear it, it’s very confortable especially with the insane humid weather we have lately!! Apparently there is a second pattern out today, the Sorell trousers!!!
Have a nice week and happy sewing!
Ps : Have you seen how green it is now!!!! A real pleasure! I really don’t miss montreal snow AT ALL!!!
Pattern : Robe Xerea, vue A, Pauline Alice
Size : 36
Fabric : Chambray Little Fabrics
Shoes : Campers